We sought an additional way to remind and encourage people to use their seatbelts. We decided to design and post signs throughout Hingham. We chose places to display these signs that drivers and passenger may see them as they exit parking lots or while stopped at intersections. Our intention was to target school parking lot exits, retail parking lots and public/recreational parking lots because many people forget to buckle up as they drive out.
In order to encourage voluntary compliance, we chose a sign with a friendly reminder message. The signs are colorful, reflective, made to last years and show a partnership with the property owner and the police. In order to pay for the signs we sought out partnerships with various businesses and organizations. The signs cost approximately $135.00 each. We have a total of 37 signs posted. Of those, 8 signs were fully paid for through a grant from the Massachusetts Governors Highway Safety Bureau. Private donors paid for the other 29 signs. Each of the donors had their name affixed to the bottom of each sign.
Besides encouraging more people to buckle up the signs also show the customers and visitors the working partnership between the Hingham Police and the
individual business or school. As a way to gain more attention to the idea of buckling up each sponsor or donor for each sign had their picture taken beside their sign. The local newspaper, The Hingham Journal, supported our efforts by agreeing to publish one new buckle up sign picture weekly. With the support of the newspaper the public was able to see a new picture each week and in effect reminded week after week to buckle up.
For more information about this program please contact Sgt. Steven Dearth @ firstname.lastname@example.org or (781) 804-2244.
Current Buckle Up Signs and Locations
1) Main St. (NB) near Queen Anne’s Corner
2) Whiting St. (SB) near Driving Range
3) Derby St. (WB) @ Cushing St. intersection
4) Derby St. (EB) @ Derby Street Shoppe’s traffic signal
5) Inside Derby St. Shoppe’s @ traffic signal exit
6) Inside Derby St. Shoppe’s @ traffic signal exit
7) Inside Derby St. Shoppe’s @ Bertucci’s exit (right turn only)
8) Hingham Middle School exit
9) Hingham Nursery School exit
10) South Elementary School exit (South Fire side)
11) South Elementary School parking lot exit
12) Hingham High School parking lot exit
13) Wompatuck State Park Union St. exit
14) Plymouth River School exit
15) Hingham High School satellite parking lot exit
16) Hingham Public Library exit (Leavitt St.)
17) Hingham Public Library exit (East St.)
18) Rotary (Route 3A) Summer St.
19) Hingham Car Wash parking lot exit
20) Hingham Boat Ramp parking lot exit
21) Hingham Bathing Beach parking lot exit
22) Foster Elementary School parking lot exit
23) Foster Elementary School bus exit
24) South Shore Country Club exit
25) Hingham Federal Credit Union parking lot exit
26) Lincoln Plaza (Sgt. William B. Terry Dr.) exit
27) Lincoln Plaza (Lincoln St.) traffic light exit
28) Sgt. William B. Terry Dr. near Lincoln St.
29) Hingham Town Hall Circular drive exit
30) Hingham Town Hall/Recreation Center parking lot
31) Hingham Transfer Station exit
32) Hingham Transfer Station exit
33) Hingham Transfer station (inside)
34) Fort Hill St. (entering from Weymouth)
35) Hingham Playground exit @ Central Fire
36) Haley Field exit
37) Senior Housing exit @ Thaxter Park